In the game of Nim (as I know it) two players each take turns taking any
number of sticks from any one of three piles. The winner is the player
who takes the last stick.
- If the three piles hold 3, 5, and 7 sticks, and it's your turn
to play, what is your best move?
- If, instead, there are four piles holding 3, 5, 7, and 9 sticks, and
it's your turn to play, what is your best move?
- Is there a strategy that can be followed to win the game? (Briefly
show how it works in the above examples.)
- Is there a strategy to win the game if the
loser takes the last stick?
- Is there a strategy if more than two people
are playing and the loser takes the last stick?
Source: Previous puzzle experience.
Some parts used as Ken's Puzzle of the Day 2/10/94.
Mail to Ken